Sunday, February 22, 2009

February Classy Cards: Flower Embellies

I've changed the name of monthly card class to Classy Cards, because we may not be focusing on a particular technique each month, we may just explore new tools or just try to make something really pretty! This month all the colors seemed to revolve around the theme of Flower embellishments.

This first card uses the new Heart-to-Heart punch to create a flower. I arranged 8 of the large narrow hearts to create a 3-dimensional flower. The center is embellished with a corduroy button.

Stamps: Warm words
Inks: chocolate chip
Papers: Bella Rose DS paper, Riding hood Red, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Ticket corner punch, Heart to Heart punch, Chocolate Chip corduroy button,
Note: I sponged the edges of the flower with chocolate chip ink to take away the white edges of the punched hearts.

This very 3-dimensional card is likely not going to be sent in an envelope because the folded flower embellishment sticks up quite a bit from the base of the card. To create this card I used the technique described in year's Sale-a-Bration Catalog. I used a 12 inch x 1 inch strip of patterned paper, and scored it every 1/4 inch along its length. I then folded along each score line in opposing directions, like an accordion. I adhered the two ends together to make an accordion circle and then pushed one of the edges towards the center, flattening the flower in the process. I found that pushing the center of the flower into pop up glue dots helped to keep the flower in the proper shape. I put another glue dot on top of the flower and then adhered a small circle of cardstock and then a flower button.

Stamps: Sincere Salutations
Inks: White Craft
Papers: Urban Garden DS paper, Basic Gray, Baja Breeze
Accessories: Basic Gray Satin ribbon, Top Note Die, Button Latte, Circle punches


This third project is a new card design that I've never tried before. The base of the card is square (4.25 x 4.25 inches), and the Top Note focal image extends beyond the the top of the card. Again, I used the Top Note die here, I apologie...it's my new toy!

Stamps: Upsy Daisy, Paisley
Inks: Chocolate Chip, Regal Rose
Papers: So Saffron, Regal Rose, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White
Accessories: Patterned Ribbon (American Crafts), Top Note Die, Cutter Kit, Boho Blossoms punch, Flower Brad
Notes: I trimmed the edge off of the White Top Note Die Cut along the stitch lines and then used the Cutter Kit roughening tool to roughen the edges. The Paisley background stamp was used on the Regal Rose paper with Regal Rose ink.

No comments: